View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-11-21, 14:29

Yeah, I'd be okay with that too. The non-pro MacBook can just be called that (now that the 12" model is no longer).

Maybe that's something in the works for 2020, when they unveil new 13" models with the new keyboard? That would make things clearer...MacBook or MacBook Pro. What's not to like?

Apple's notebook lineup is always goofy, overlapping and confusing to people. When they had that 12" model, then the 13" Air and then the various Pro models, I'd look at the online store and it would take me forever to kinda figure it all out and try know what was what and the best choice, etc. Certain features/specs from some models would be better than more expensive offerings, or vice versa. There was no way to make a good, easy decision. It confused me, someone who's always kinda followed this stuff. I can only imagine what a normal person who doesn't follow all this stuff must've felt like. They didn't know what to buy! That was WAY too much overlap/redundancy/confusion.

At least now it's back down to just the two major variants. And if they'd do some of the things I talk about above in terms of positioning/naming/pricing (and jettison the "Air"), it would be super easy to figure out, for anyone. And that's how it should be. Nobody should have to need a Mac-savvy buddy, neighbor or co-worker to figure out what they need to buy. It shouldn't be some clunky, hard-to-decipher puzzle game.

Updated lineup from above:

$1,099 - MacBook (dual-core 1.xGHz i5, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, basic, Air-level integrated graphics)
$1,299 - MacBook (dual-core 1.xGHz i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, basic, Air-level integrated graphics)
$1,499 - MacBook+ (quad-core 1.xGHz i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, step up in graphics to decent mid-range)
$1,799 - MacBook Pro 13" (2.xGHz quad-core i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, updated 2020 suitable higher-end graphics)
$1,999 - MacBook Pro 13" (2.xGHz quad-core i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, updated 2020 suitable higher-end graphics)

I don't know about/follow graphics stuff, so just generic placeholders above, but appropriate for each machine and its price range, similar to what's there now, with the $1,499 model getting something between the two lower-end models and the two Pro models).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2019-11-21 at 14:39.