Thread: Thread Views
View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-27, 22:29

Changing from a true one-view-per-view to a more esoteric one-view-per-view-except-time-constricted-edits-or-some-other-circumstance would not only be potentially confusing, it would also be a major pain in the pass to code.

I think the benefits don't really outweigh the enormous undertaking to get this working correctly. What other forums have you seen this behavior implemented? Were they running vB3? If you can find a vB mod that does this, I'll be happy to look it over and see if it's worth the trouble. Something to keep in mind, of course, is that it may break (maybe badly depending on how it's coded) when we update our software.

Besides, I don't think people are bothered by slightly inflated view counts. If anything, the view number is just a general indication of a thread's popularity. I can't even remember the last time someone commented about a thread having some view and no replies.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.