Thread: Mac Mini 2020
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-03, 08:04

For the past few days, and for the first time since they've existed, I'm kinda mulling a Mac mini as my next Mac.

I'd need to get a monitor of some sort, but I don't think I'm super picky on that. I already have an Apple keyboard and mouse from my iMac. I'm 2/3 there on the BYODKM thing.

AppleInsider had an article recently about how a Mac mini with a decent 24" 4K display (of which there are quite a few, from LG and others) comes in less than a new 24" iMac, plus you get some traditional, usable ports right out of the box (a nice mix of the old and new).

Lots of pros, very few cons, the more I think on it.

That article recommends the LG 24UD58-B with is just under $300 and seems to get good reviews. Pairing something like that with a $899 (with the 16GB RAM upgrade) Mac mini gets me the equivalent performance of a $1,299 13" MacBook Pro or new 24" iMac for just under $1,200 (but because I'd want to upgrade those to 16GB, I'm looking at $1,499 and $1,699. I'd be coming in $300 under the upgraded 13" MacBook Pro (and $500 under the iMac). Just seems to make a lot of sense. Not the most stylish (or portable) thing, but I'm the only person here, so who cares.

I've never really considered the Mac mini before, but I am now (the M1-based model, of course).