View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-05-09, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Just seems like such a dice-roll to do colors, period, on this big, expensive stuff. Because there will always be a few colors that don't sell like the others and what do you do with them? I know they don't "dent" Apple in any real way (they'll be write-offs, donations, in-store demos, etc.). Surely they're not going to sit in a dungeon somewhere or be used as BB gun target practice, but it sure creates issues where none currently existed, in terms of manufacturing, inventory management, in-store display, stocking, shipping, etc. I never would've predicted they'd go back to 1998-2001 color offerings again. I wonder if that took some convincing for Tim or other higher ups? I wonder if there was any resistance/push-back based on the reasons I gave above?
Yeah, no doubt there were internal discussions on whether it's worth it in terms of logistics.

Perhaps they soft-launched the idea of some more colorfulness in hardware with things like the iPhone XR (which came in black, white, blue, yellow, orange and red), to gauge whether it's worth it.

We don't know how quickly Apple can move in terms of color changes. They might even have been able to react to the iPad Air launch in fall; that is, if those colors had bombed, they might have dropped the iMac's. Or perhaps the colors did bomb, and it's why they went for less muted colors on the iMac!