View Single Post
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-08-16, 08:38

If the original story doesn't bug you, maybe this will?

Quote:
WASHINGTON, Aug. 15 - The Federal Bureau of Investigation has been questioning political demonstrators across the country, and in rare cases even subpoenaing them (emphasis mine), in an aggressive effort to forestall what officials say could be violent and disruptive protests at the Republican National Convention in New York.

F.B.I. officials are urging agents to canvass their communities for information about planned disruptions aimed at the convention and other coming political events, and they say they have developed a list of people who they think may have information about possible violence. They say the inquiries, which began last month before the Democratic convention in Boston, are focused solely on possible crimes, not on dissent, at major political events.

But some people contacted by the F.B.I. say they are mystified by the bureau's interest and felt harassed by questions about their political plans.

"The message I took from it," said Sarah Bardwell, 21, an intern at a Denver antiwar group who was visited by six investigators a few weeks ago, "was that they were trying to intimidate us into not going to any protests and to let us know that, 'hey, we're watching you.' ''

The unusual initiative comes after the Justice Department, in a previously undisclosed legal opinion, gave its blessing to controversial tactics used last year by the F.B.I in urging local police departments to report suspicious activity at political and antiwar demonstrations to counterterrorism squads. The F.B.I. bulletins that relayed the request for help detailed tactics used by demonstrators - everything from violent resistance to Internet fund-raising and recruitment

Yah, I'm sure there is no political motivation behind this at all. That's why everywhere Bush goes demonstrators are kept a mile or more away from him and cordoned off into little "protest areas". This whole situation is very dangerous and if citizens aren't a little alarmed by it, they're going to keeping eating away at our ability to demonstrate where we want, when we want, and in general to say what we want how we want.

Little bit of freedom here, little bit there. Nothing to be concerned about, right? They're just trying to protect us remember. Always trying to protect us.

America, can you say "Bah-h-h-h-h"?

...into the light of a dark black night.