View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-01-26, 22:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I kind of get the feeling that more people will die from mosquito transmitted illnesses this year than this blown out of proportion coronavirus. Just another story to be milked to death, yes pun intended, by the media far beyond what it really is. Over the past few years there has been one thing or another that the media has told us to cower in fear from and not go out. Could this be true this time? Sure, and if it is it's not like there is anything we can do about it, other than be hygienic and not be stupid, but that should be normal.
Oh, hell, here in Idaho there's a new mosquito-transmitted virus every spring and it's going to be the end of the world. 5 people get sick, and when the "predictions" fail to materialize all "news" of the "outbreak" goes *POOF*. There's a mosquito on every leaf and nothing ever comes of it? I think it all has more to do with first-to-market click-bait than actual reporting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Sure, but the number of cases is low in part BECAUSE of widespread awareness.
Maybe, but it could also be "not the end of the world as reported".

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Transmission rates are far higher than SARS, the illness is asymptomatic (meaning that the ill and carriers may be impossible to identify), and containment is super, super tough. Also: at least one epidemiologist is losing their shit online.
As I said above, this could get bad. I'm not taking that away. Where I see a problem is people running around comparing it to the Spanish Influenza outbreak in 1918. I am not a fan of crying wolf! Eventually, people will lose their confidence in both the media and scientists and won't be listening when maybe they should.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-01-26 at 23:08.