Thread: 2020 Apple
View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-02-04, 04:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
You're either in the machine's target market or you're not. An iMac Pro costs $6299. in Canada. If that came with a screen that rotates and I knew I could fully utilize the system's RAM capabilities eventually, I would lease it for my small business.

I believe there are a lot of us in the 'traditional Pro' market who run Adobe CC and Final Cut and a bunch of other software that could use a bump from a regular iMac to a beefier model. It is hard for me to envision a scenario buying an iMac Pro for anything but business/scientific use. The classic iMac is such a great machine for consumers and education.
Don't underestimate the 2019 Coffee Lake iMac. Sure, it still has the old cooling system, so the Pro will do better on sustained loads.

But for a lot of tasks, the iMac will not only be significantly be cheaper, but also faster. You can configure it to eight cores at just $2,699 compared to the iMac Pro's $4,999. And that CPU will be 16% faster in single-core and even slightly faster in multi-core. It's really only when you need workloads with ten, fourteen, eighteen cores that the iMac Pro starts destroying the lesser iMac, and odds are you don't have that kind of workload. (And if you do, consider if it'll also run on a GPU, in which case an eGPU solution might actually be cheaper and faster!)

So if you're considering the base model iMac Pro, think again if that's a good deal. The (overdue) 2019 iMac upgrade made it a far worse deal.