Thread: 2019 iMac
View Single Post
Frank777
Veteran Member

2019-03-11, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
OK, so this is mostly a rant about the Surface Studio, which is a little unfair since I think your post is good, but…

But as it currently stands, I think your implication that the Surface Studio somehow destroys the iMac is… odd.

Again, it's an interesting product. But it honestly feels more like a design/research study than an actual production machine. If anyone thinks the Mac is niche, well, this product is extremely niche.
The Surface doesn't destroy the iMac at all. And it is extremely niche. But the very fact that Apple got out-innovated by Microsoft on an AIO computer that caters to creative pros has to be profoundly embarrassing to Cupertino. I know portables and wearables are the thing now, and I understand that Apple barely gives a hoot about the Mac Mini on its best day.

But the iMac is the flagship Apple computer. Redmond isn't supposed to be able to do anything but create a cheap knockoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I'm… really not feeling happy with this ARM Mac stuff. But I'm also not very happy with Intel's roadmap, so… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?
At this point, I think the quiet means the transition to an A-chip Mac is all but given. Certainly, you can see Intel appearing to deal with the possibility. The question has always been whether it's consumer-level only, or if the A-chips can truly be scaled to Xeon-level performance.

I have no idea, internet prognosticators seem to say no, and Apple only keeps repeating that current A-chips outperform desktops.

Like I said, this WWDC is probably going to be a lot of fun.