View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-10-24, 13:45

Yeah, this isn't a personal, "just Steve" issue...he couldn't have swiped $100,000 from the company to give to something that only he supports or believes in (he's got his own money, I'm sure, for things like that). The board or whatever would all have to be on...uh, board for a company-wide, six-figure donation to a particular cause or program.

It's a progressive (is that the proper, non-push-button word we use? ) outfit, as is, and it's no shock or surprise to anyone, is it?

Doesn't bother me, I don't care.

I'd draw the line at maybe a few other things and get upset (but they're the kinds of things no prominent company is ever going to throw in with, so I think I'm pretty safe). But social matters like this, or who they support for President, etc. I don't give a damn. It doesn't affect me, one way or the other. Especially when you know their DNA, background and history.

And yes, just from a business perspective alone, as the bassman points out, it's smart and no surprise.

There could be just as many other public, highly-thought-of companies giving money and support to the opposite view in California (okay, there aren't; but we need to pretend there is, for a few seconds, for my point to stand or make any sense ).

But seriously, if this bothered enough people - and it won't - there are procedures and remedies in place for anyone wanting to make their feelings and thoughts known on the matter.

Nobody throws in with a company like Apple expecting them to cut checks to the NRA or the Heritage Foundation, right? And then getting all pissy-acting when you find out they don't?

I'd be stunned if Apple didn't make some sort of public move on this issue, or stayed silent/neutral. It's the state where they live and work, and it affects them.