View Single Post
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-03-03, 11:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
Heard a guy on tv that said that a (Mercedes?) will have Siri on board, making it the first non iDevice that will take advantage of it. The way he talked sounded like a confirmed thing. That would be kinda nice...
Really nice, and it's absolutely where the whole thing needs to be heading. In Nevada, as of Jan 1st, it's now illegal to use a phone while driving, unless it's hands free. This means either you have to hope your car's infotainment system and bluetooth work with your phone, or you have to use Apple's earbuds, or if you have an Android phone... well, good luck. Something like Siri is almost becoming mandatory in cars.

My CTS-V has GM's version of voice recognition, and I can use it to enter directions for the nav by voice, but it doesn't interface directly with my iPhone. And that's the problem, every car has an isolated, proprietary system that attempts to allow you to do things like use voice for nav, but doesn't do it well and is usually pretty limited in scope. Siri is the clear answer. If Mercedes actually incorporates Siri it would be pretty awesome just for Siri's ability to understand human speech, the question is really how far will it go? Can you ask it to find the nearest coffee shop and put the directions on the nav?

Anyway I hope that's where it's all going, not just with Mercedes but with everybody. I just see this as exactly the kind of market that Apple would want to take over and "fix", like they did for mp3 players and cell phones.