View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-07-31, 17:59

I think there will be room for the cameras, no notch needed. I’m picturing something close to the bezel width of the iPad Pro, or maybe slightly narrower (I suspect the limiting factor for the bezels on the iPad Pro isn’t the size of the Face ID sensors but the depth of the USB-C port). It won’t be edge to edge the same way some of Apple’s laptop competition with bizarre camera locations are, but it will maintain the illusion of being edge to edge in the same way the iPad Pro does: by having the bezels be equal on all sides (so no “MacBook” logo) and by rounding the corners to match the curve of the case.

I think future iMacs will be like this as well. The Apple Pro Display XDR already has 9mm bezels; that’s already getting into iPad Pro bezel-width territory. Curve the corners just a bit to match a more rounded consumer product, stick a Face ID sensor on the top, and you’ve got a Liquid Retina display. (I think the challenge for getting Face ID onto iMacs and especially laptops isn’t going to be the height of the system, but the depth.)

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong