View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2018-02-16, 05:15

It’s a weird old house. Some things don’t work and need to go, while other things are just nice enough to save, and others still are just in the way.

The previous owners finished the basement - it’s not great, but it’s clean, however it’s been in my way for the past two months because it makes chasing wiring, ducting, and plumbing runs a PITA, unless we start cutting holes in the basement drywall. In retrospect we could have ripped it out, but there wouldn’t have been any place left to live (camp out) while we renovate. It’s also got a giant PITA with the placement of the mechanical room and electrical panels at opposite ends of the house, really? WTF?

In the nice enough to save category we have all the stairs and second floor flooring and woodwork, though both need refinishing.

The first floor (and focus of the renovation) was victim to a bad 1990s remodel with both tiles and laminate laid over existing floors on an already bad layout - so all that stuff is gone and the main floor interior walls are open now. I’ll probably throw in the wires just because, but I haven’t really made use of ethernet for the last ten years, and I see more things going that way: we haven’t had a home phone for almost as long; even cableTV and Fibe now run through wireless terminals.