View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-01-30, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I'm surprised by how expensive it all is, though. I knew it was when I was a kid, but I don't think I really internalized it (since all my sets as a kid were gifts). I mean, I ordered a bulk pack of 300 bricks for my wife's classroom on Ebay last night, and it cost $16. If they come to us in good shape, I might buy one or two of those packs for myself later in the spring.
Lego can be expensive. Some things to keep in mind:

A lot of people selling Lego via Amazon charge more than MSRP. The Lego Smart car, for example, has an MSRP of $4.99, but people on Amazon were charging $9 for it last I checked.

Toys R Us usually charges more than MSRP for their Lego — from a couple of dollars more for smaller sets to $20 more for sets like Hogwarts Castle. That said, they often have deals (like buy one get one 50% off) that counteract their price hikes.

Of course, once Lego stops producing a set, all bets are off if you want one sealed.

AFOLs with extra time on their hands can actually fund their hobby by buying sets, splitting them up, and selling the pieces individually on Bricklink for a profit (or else keeping the pieces they want and selling enough to break even). An in-demand minifig that's only available in a $100 set might sell for $25 by itself on the secondary market, for example. That said, this probably requires a bit of familiarity with the market; not all Lego sets are worth less than the sum of their parts, but many are.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong