View Single Post
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-06-26, 14:28

That is a very handsome bike, AWR, you lucky thing. Nice pedal choice too. But I'd love to know why you chose a Swiss machine instead of a handmade American frame, which I remember you were considering at one point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
As for your rear...natural padding and a thicker seat would be plenty of shock absorption there.

The Scott pictured looks like it has a seat more suited to competition than comfort.
This is strange advice. Soft saddles are more comfortable for people who rarely ride, but if you ride more than a couple of times a week you'll want a firm saddle. Soft saddles spread the weight around which is exactly what you don't want, because both men and women have sensitive bits that aren't made for taking pressure. A firm saddle focuses the weight on your "sit bones", which, once conditioned by regular riding, can happily take your weight all day. I've ridden a few centuries, always on hard saddles, so I have a bit of experience with this. A lot of hardcore distance ridders - those who do 24-hour rides and the like - use Brooks saddles, particularly the B17 model. These are hard as a rock.

Gel saddles are the work of the devil.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.