View Single Post
Koodari
Veteran Member

2007-08-02, 03:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38 View Post
Same here. I am very glad I have had a helmet on several occasions. People do not know how to drive/obey laws in Wisconsin and I have had 3-4 very close encounters of being hit. Sadly enough it is almost always people too overzealous about turning left when I riding through the walk sign.
My two closest calls have been in this precise situation.

In fact it was two different times, the very same intersection (no, the visibility is excellent, that's not the reason), and the drivers were both middle-aged guys with a mobile phone glued to their ear. I went down both times from braking and evading. As soon as it was evident that I wasn't damaged - never mind that they couldn't have known if my bike is - these folks drove on and IIRC still had the phone on their ear.

I no longer have business at the other end of that route, so I haven't ridden much in this area anymore. I was this close >< to carrying a huge ball bearing in pocket while riding in case of a third jerk doing the same thing. Who knows, losing a rear window might even make them get off the phone.

We don't have punitive damages so it's no use crashing them and suing, either.