View Single Post
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-08-30, 17:19

One of the reasons why I bought my ARC was the extra long top tube...not because I was looking for a more stable bike, but because I have a long torso and arms.

I don't need the street cred. Priorities are probably frame, wheels, drivetrain components...everything else I can spec down for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedmacuser View Post
You can often pick up a bargain if you're prepared to buy a new frame from a year or two ago. Manufacturers have already started to sell 2008 models and so we're seeing 2007 models going cheap. A heavily-discounted frame from a year or two ago may well be better value than a current model.

Plus you should expect to get a bike shop to do some work for you. The cost of a bike shop to build wheels or install the headset or bottom bracket may well be cheaper than buying the tools to do it yourself.
Yeah I was looking at 2005s even, but almost all the discontinued models are from the big manufacturers like Trek and subsidiaries. I wouldn't think of installing a BB or headset myself, for fear of not aligning it correctly. Though one time I visited a custom fabricator and the entire bottom bracket tube was off axis by about 1 degree...he took a wooden mallet to it.

Last edited by Eugene : 2007-08-30 at 17:31.