View Single Post
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-08-30, 23:18

I don't think the Moser is going to be a possibility since I'd have to go out of my way to give one a test ride. I kinda want to stay away from the big brand names just for the sake of it. Out of the 3 bike shops I visited today, two were stocked almost exclusively with Trek and Lemond. The other had a mix of Specialized, Cannondale, Lemond and Rocky Mountain. I ended up riding a Lemond Buenos Aires and a 2008 Trek Madone 5.2 around the block a few times. The Lemond felt downright lazy on city streets, the Trek felt the same except it was $800 more expensive. Gotta say I'm not really impressed with the all-carbon frames.

The in-house Bontrager components are a bit suspect as well. Unfortunately the last store closed before I got to test a Rocky Mountain Solo 50ST. I've never heard of the company, but the bike was intriguing. The the frame is primarily steel, but with carbon fiber stays and seat tube. It had a full Ultegra component group, save the cranks...which I'm not going to cry about.

Going to go back this weekend to give it a try.