View Single Post
beardedmacuser

2007-09-03, 09:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
One way to get drivers to give you more room is to move away from the edge of the road. Passing drivers tend to leave as much space between you and their car as there is between you and the edge of the road. So if you squeeze yourself against the curb, bumping through the drain covers, they'll give you no respect at all. Muscle out into an assertive position a good two or three feet from the curb and they'll practically treat you like a car, i.e. no overtaking unless they can move into the overtaking lane.
QFT... don't ride in the gutter. Ride defensively and assertively. But always have in the back of your mind that you may need to get out of the way if a vehicle is just coming through regardless of your presence.

Just a week or two ago I had a fuckwit in a car drive into a central reservation bollard. He was trying to overtake me where there was a bollard/pedestrian-crossing-thingy in the middle of the road. He skidded to a halt on top of it! Who knows, but had I been riding in the gutter he may have just thought for a moment that there would have been room for both of us (which there wasn't).

Drivers; how about just waiting a few seconds before overtaking? It's really not going to hold you up! Are you really so desperate to get up to the back of the queue ahead?