View Single Post
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-09-03, 20:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedmacuser View Post
You could always swap the handlebar stem for something longer, which would give you a longer reach. Typical stems are approx 80 to 100 mm long, and you can commonly find them in lengths of up to 140 mm if you look around.
I did that with my mountain bike. I got a 17" frame and bought a long stem with a shallow rise in addition to a layback seatpost. It gave me a decent riding position, but completely jacked up the handling of the bike on technical stuff. Steering got lazy and on steep climbs if I wasn't standing, my butt felt like it was falling off the saddle.

Quote:
A good bike shop shouldn't really sell you a bike which doesn't fit you. That should include fitting a stem and a seat post of appropriate length. Alternatively (like me), if you know what you're doing you can buy a bike from somewhere crap but which sells them cheap. Then spend your own time and money to get the bike to fit...
All the bike shops here will put you on a Serotta size-cycle initially, then deal with stems, crank length, etc. The thing is they usually save that for after you've chosen the bike already.