View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-09, 12:35

Sadly, it often takes a heartbreaking, soul-crushing loss for many people to take that seriously. I know people who, despite all my advice and reminding over the years, who've never backed up their Macs or their iPhones. It's the easiest thing in the world to buy a $69 1TB USB WD or Seagate USB drive and turn on Time Machine. And if you're not backing up your iPhone via iCloud or the old-school way of iTunes/Photos, then you're just rolling that dice as well. I know someone who has hundreds - maybe thousands? - of photos on her iPhone (yeah, 80% of them are pouting selfies and her latest manicure or shoe purchase, but there are family, holidays, friends, vacation, etc. pics too).

She's never backed up and I've told her numerous times "if your phone gets lost or stolen, or falls in the river on one of your singles/booze cruise outings, you're going to be inconsolable...there won't be anything I can do at that point."

She just acts like it's never going to happen... *shrug* I'm expecting that hysterical, panicked call from her at some point...and it'll kill me to have to tell her there's nothing I can do. That I've tried for years, on the front end, to get her to take this seriously.

You can lead a horse to water...

I don't understand that thinking; she's going to lose YEARS of memories. And it's less of an "if" than a "when".

But she'll take it seriously then...after she's lost years' worth of pics. That's often what it takes for some folks...one of life's "eye-opener" moments.