View Single Post
drewprops
Space Pirate

2019-12-10, 14:31

I seem to be in the minority of people who didn't love the vibe of the new Ghostbusters movie trailer. A Ghostbusters-skinned version of Stranger Things seems lazy, almost antithetical to the spirit of the franchise. In a discussion on a friend's wall I described the original film as being rather campy. The *setup* wasn't necessarily camp, but the gonzo performances of Akroyd and Murray turned it into their very own special form of camp, ensuring that the tone of the original hit film would be a difficult formula to recapture. This isn't to discount the script, or the direction and editing and special effects. The second film with the same cast was less successful than the original, and every subsequent attempt has fallen farther afield, though I think the energy of the recent version with a largely female cast was a genuine attempt to synthesize the spirit of the original. However it turns out, I sure hope this new movie proves me wrong - because that would be fun. And we could sure use some fun these days.