View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-23, 18:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlomas View Post
Anyone having the reception disaster that's gaining major steam on MacRumors forums?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=947585&page=6
Yikes...kinda glad I'm having to wait another month (or more).

From Walt Mossberg's WSJ review:

Quote:
But, in my tests, network reception was a mixed bag. Compared with the previous model, the new iPhone dropped marginally fewer calls made in my car, both in Washington and in Boston, and was much louder and clearer over my car's built-in Bluetooth speaker-phone system.

Yet, in some places where the signal was relatively weak, the iPhone 4 showed no bars, or fewer bars than its predecessor. Apple says that this is a bug it plans to fix, and that it has to do with the way the bars are presented, not the actual ability to make a call. And, in fact, in nearly all of these cases, the iPhone 4 was able to place calls despite the lack of bars.

However, on at least six occasions during my tests, the new iPhone was either reporting "no service" or searching for a network while the old one, held in my other hand, was showing at least a couple of bars. Neither Apple nor AT&T could explain this. The iPhone 4 quickly recovered in these situations, showing service after a few seconds, but it was still troubling.
That would drive me bonkers, especially with an otherwise perfect, "nailed it!" device (that I just dropped $200-300 on).

Hope something gets figured out quick. The whole iPhone/AT&T thing is already a favorite target...if this is a legit issue and word gets out, it'll be ugly. That's assuming the calls are dropped/unable to be made (but if it's "searching" for a signal, then yeah...that's no good).

I guess all their employees were hanging out at bars, drinking beer, instead of performing hardcore field testing.