View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-23, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
They seem to be convinced that it's a conspiracy theory to sell bumpers.

I can't wrap my head around the way they're holding the phone when they're trying to reproduce the issue. It's like they're playing Twister or something. "You can't touch every surface of the iPhone simultaneously and make a call! Ive sucks this is form over function rah rah."

I haven't heard a reliable report of the antennae design causing problems in the real world. I guess most people just don't hold their phone like that, when they call...?
To be fair, it's only been about 12 or so hours and only about 29 people have one , so let's see what tomorrow brings. If this is a legit, true issue - I think it could be something like shorting out, the skin contact to the metal? - we'll certainly be up to our eyeballs in evidence this time tomorrow night.

I'm not going to blow this off just yet. But I have a hard time believing this wasn't caught in the testing/prototype stage. So if it is a software issue related to the bar display/animation, why wasn't this fixed sooner and included in 4.0? Or already on the new iPhones? If Mossberg brings it up, and makes it sound like Apple knows about it, that's not a bunch of people making it up.

And you know what? Yeah, I don't manhandle my phone or grip it in some overbearing way. But I also shouldn't have to think about where my fingers are when I pick the damn thing up to answer or make a call, you know? I don't with my current iPhone. I just grab it and use it. If the "solution" to this winds up being some four-step "place your thumb here..." instructions from Apple, guess what? I'll "upgrade" to a refurb 3Gs from AT&T for $99 rather than sink twice that (or more) into something that you can't really use.

But that's assuming it's a real problem, and that Apple isn't quick with a fix.