View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-11-22, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
”going thicker”, at any amount, was their kryptonite.
Yup. I love that this is changing, even if only to mix things up a little!

Quote:
Also doesn’t help that any time they do, even just a smidge, a bunch of self-appointed design fetishists cry about it on Twitter and YouTube. But I’m hoping that thinking is turning around a bit, and it looks like it might be. Nobody’s died yet from a slightly thicker iPhone 11 or new MacBook, after all. It got to where you’re wondering “is Apple designing stuff for people to use/enjoy, or are they just out for bragging rights and design awards?”
I think Apple under Ive (not necessarily as in Ive the person, but the values he appears to represent) was designing for this future:

And we're kind of not there?

Quote:
I don’t recall anyone in that 2014-2018 timeframe complaining about how all their stuff is just too ugly, bulky and needlessly thick.
Well, people do complain about the camera bump. And to remove the camera bump, the phone would have to be a fair amount thicker. People might complain about that?

Quote:
But Apple certainly seemed to be operating as though that were the case. And if that was mostly stemming from Ive and his various wants and obsessions, then yeah, good riddance. He wasn’t helping.
I think that's true.

Jason Snell recently got into the Henry Ford/faster horse thing, arguing that the mantra of not asking customers what they want is sometimes correct, but can also go too far. Yup.

Quote:
If your priority is sleek thinness to the point that it’s limiting what components and performance can be put into a machine with the word “pro” in its name, that’s a problem IMO. You’ve gone too far. Do that on machines - the Air or Mac mini - that aren’t supposed to be about no-compromise performance for the money one is asked to spend on the pro gear.
Right.

It seems Apple misjudged how much market demand there was for the MacBook Pro to be almost Air-like.