View Single Post
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2012-03-27, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
This whole 'book' thing is very exciting. I wish to offer the most intense congratulations on your completion of this remarkable work. The relief must be positively massive.

I thought the "book description" at this link was very clearly written and quite understandable, even for those who don't have even a shred of a clue. I doubt that I'll be buying a copy, however. Maybe I could visit one at a bookstore one of these days though.
Yes! Shipping April 9th!

But... available through Kindle now, I just found out!

http://www.amazon.com/Elemental-Desi...2879029&sr=8-2

Quote:
In the meantime, any chance you could quote a few lines from Grady's foreward? (Or, even better, quote the *whole* foreward?) I'm positively *dying* to read what he says, especially since I remember waaay back to when you first met him at that conference. (Was it in Philly?) And you went up and introduced yourself to him after he finished speaking. And you told me that he was a god-like being. heh
LOL OMG, that was... 2005, in Pittsburgh. I introduced myself to him, and to the other keynote speaker. I worked with Grady at IBM, and the other keynote speaker? Now my boss.

Grady was kind enough to write the Foreword, just a bit ago, JUST in time for publication:

Quote:
There’s a wonderful scene in the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey that comes to mind.

Having spent several months alone on the derelict ship Discovery—and that after having earlier lobotomized the errant Hal—Dr. David Bowman approaches a monolith that draws him in to a new world. His final message back to earth ends “It’s full of stars!”

Software-intensive systems are new worlds that we create with our own mental labor. Whereas the world that Bowman saw was formed from atoms and thus full of stars, our worlds are formed from bits...and are full of patterns.

Whether intentional or not, all well-structured software intensive systems are full of patterns. Identifying the patterns in a system serves to raise the level of abstraction in reasoning about that system; imposing patterns on a system serves to bring even further order, elegance, and simplicity to that system. In my experience, patterns are one of the most important developments in software engineering in the past two decades.

I’ve had the pleasure of working with Jason as he evolved his work on SPQR, and let me assure you that he has contributed greatly to the advance of the understanding and practice of patterns. Elemental Design Patterns will help you think about patterns in a new way, a way that will help you apply patterns to improve the software worlds that you create and evolve. If you are new to patterns, this is a great book to start your journey; if you are an old hand with patterns, then I expect you’ll learn some new things. I certainly did.

Grady Booch
IBM Fellow
February 2012
Spiffy. ^_^

Quote:
And I can't help thinking back to those days when you were sleeping on a cot in your graduate-student office in NC and procrastinating wrt working on your dissertation by hanging out at AI at 2:00 and 3:00 in the morning. I guess that must have been in the fall of 2003, wasn't it? Before the birth of AN.
Oh lord, yeah, I spent way too much time on AI. LOL

Quote:
Well, anyway, as I said, this is all very exciting.
Thank you so much, I'm really rather over the moon today. Recorded some short video podcasts recently for the publisher, and now we're discussing online lectures...

Last edited by Kickaha : 2012-03-27 at 18:25.