Thread: Apple Watch
View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-05-29, 13:03

Congrats on your new Watch Wyatt! I hope you love it as much as I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
However, it has been very interesting to me how much ruder glancing at your watch can be perceived than looking at your phone.
I also spend less time on both my phone and my Watch total. Not just less on my phone.

Your last sentence though it the really key to personal communication I've noticed. More than once I've gotten a notice on my watch and glanced at it while with a friend. They almost always say something about we have more time available or asked if I need to be somewhere. Given I haven't worn a watch in years I'm not used to the key indicator that you're wasting someone's time; look at your watch.

I'm now forcing myself not to look at my watch when I'm engaged with someone so they don't think I'm being rude. Though, I guess I really am being rude. There are times where I intentionally leave the volume on the Watch notifications as high as possible so the other party hears the notice and gets the message I need to tend to it. When I have it silenced (because I'm not that asshat who thinks the world needs to hear my ringtone) is when I see others think I'm being more rude since they don't know I'm getting or responding to a notification of some sort.

For my geekier friends I use a notice as a segue to showing off my Watch.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.