Thread: Car Talk
View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-25, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I'm not on the electric bandwagon just yet. When my wife's car dies, we'll probably get one but I'm a fan of my manual transmission Golf R. I love to drive and I worry that an electric would take the fun out of it for me.
Electric cars are fun in their own way. Everything feels so immediate. Especially if you get a performance EV, they just take off, and they just keep on going, with no lag. They feel stupid fast, it’s wild. Our 500e isn’t a performance vehicle at all but it puts a smile on my face because it’s so small and zippy. It feels faster than it is, if that makes sense?

I’d encourage you to test drive a performance EV. They’re just stupid fun, even without rowing your own gears. I’ve done Ludicrous Mode launches in my friend’s Tesla and I always end up giggling, it just never gets old. I never thought in a million years I would ever want an electric motorcycle, and now I kind of…do? Or at least, I’m way more open to it. (I plan on keeping my 796 forever, though.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
My son has long had a hankering for a Tesla but I'm not convinced that they'll survive Musk's craziness.
Yeah, I’d have reservations about buying a Tesla. I’ve heard horror stories of owners having trouble getting service or repairs. We have a good relationship with our BMW dealer so I’d feel a lot safer going with an iX3 or a Mini. Some people are skeptical about the iX3 being built in China but honestly I think it’s going to be fine. China is really good at assembling things.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong