View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-19, 15:20

I know that Scates has a good point that Disney has screwed things up pretty well and a lot of us have lost hope in the franchise. That said, I'm excited for The Last Jedi, it's just that my hope in it to fix the series is strained at best. I know that Disney wants to kill off the heroes of the original franchise, to shoosh them away in undramatic, ungratifying, and unsatisfying fashion. I can only speculate why, but that would just cause trouble.

A dearly beloved franchise is swirling down the toilet. With 1.1 exceptions (IMO), the last five saga movies have sucked eggs, badly. It started with George Lucas' hopelessly out of touch prequel trilogy, then took a flaming spiral into land that has left it mired in the muck so deeply that JJ Abrams will not likely be able to rescue it. The side-movies have been good (Solo), and best yet (Rogue One), and I think the formula going forward is side-shows.

I think the people involved, being old holdouts from LucasFilm and the remains of George Lucas' cadre of "yes-men" just don't really know how to think for themselves, understand the vision, or truly have any imagination beyond what George told them to imagine. Now at Disney, they really don't know what to do, cannot see the direction of the characters, nor imagine how to bring them to an end other than to mire them down in the political fiasco that Lucas became trapped in. The best JJ Abrams could do was to reimagine Episode 4, and the best Kathleen Kennedy/Rian Johnson could do was shovel a politically loaded pile of dog crap down our throats whereby everything we knew/loved about Star Wars was a lie. I don't think Episode 9 can fix this.

However, once the leftovers of LucasFilm get the scud out of their eyes I think there is great potential in Disney's story-telling capacity.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)