View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-01-11, 01:22

1) Me liking a movie does not make it perfect.

2) I loved the movie as a standalone Star Wars movie. I hated it as part of a much larger and more glaring flaw in the entirety of the sequel trilogy. I'm not saying there aren't mistakes. There are mistakes in every movie (Hell, I can pick apart Episode IV until the cows come home. It's just that I give that movie more leeway due to immature special effects, cameras, budget, nostalgia, etc.).

Flaws like the one mentioned in my last post are not flaws worth caring about. I tried to hit the sarcasm button, but missed it. The detail of that particular character's demise wouldn't be noticed by anyone were it not for some random article making a big issue out of something that wasn't a big issue until it was. This is nit-picky at best. In fact it is entirely unnecessary. That character (Num-Num or whatever his name is) had an entire 12 seconds of screen time in ROTJ. It's not like he was "original cast" or anything. Just a bit-part played by a guy in a mask. Now, suddenly, he's a long-time favorite killed off for no reason?

Besides that, heroes die. It's not like the actors live forever. I mean, come on! These dolts used BS footage and CGI of Carrie Fisher in a desperate attempt to keep Leia alive as long as possible, and we're getting our fur in a knot over Num-Num?

If I had my way, the old heroes would all die in the span of these three movies (I would have killed off Lando and the Falcon in ROTJ), and they would all go down fighting for the cause just as Num-Num did. He just went down in a random explosion in the midst of a titanic battle, much like real heroes do. If the heroes don't die sometimes, then the value of the fight is cheapened. In war, people die! Sometimes, the best people die! Num-Num isn't merely "killed off". He died fighting for a cause he believed in, and that matters! I had no idea he died, but now that I do the sacrifice becomes more real. One of the best and most moving scenes in Rogue One was when Cassian and Jyn died! It made their sacrifice believable; it made the whole story believable. Wedge is one of my favorite characters (he spans all three originals) and I would have had him die, too! He would have given his very last effort to save a ship or a person or something. He would have died for the cause because he believed in it! And we would have all felt something for him, because we would empathize with what he fought for. It would resonate. There is no peace and freedom unless good guys give their lives for it.

P.S. I don't do xmas, so that has noting to do with anything.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)