View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-12-09, 02:36

"Stupid." That's my reaction. I came across a link outlining some recent discoveries about the "Doom" movie while hunting down some Doom III screenshots in another thread.

You know that movie they're making based on Id Software's hit game series Doom? Well, if you don't, now you do. You can read the story behind the Doom game here, but here's the abridged version:

In the future, mankind has colonized space, including Mars and its moons. The military and a big conglomerate (UAC) start experimenting with inter-dimensional space travel on the moons, but something goes wrong. Demons and beasts pour from the new gateways, and it's your job as a marine to clean up the place and stop the invasion.

Doom III has basically the same plot as the original Doom. Doom II was a sequel dubbed "Hell on Earth" where the demons had starting appearing on, you guessed it, Earth, and you end up going through a portal to fight the demons on their own turf.

The idea is also that the monsters are demons from Hell itself. If you play the old games, you'll find them littered with pentagrams and other demonic symbols associated with Hell. I can't speak much for the new one because I haven't played it.

Now you know the story behind the game.

So, someone picked up on the idea that Doom's plot would make for a cool action/sci-fi/horror movie. Sweet! Under the right art director and writers, it could be an incredible movie adventure.

Alas, it is not so.

The link I mentioned earlier is this blog from Dark Horizons. Apparently, the Doom movie is shaping up to look nothing like Doom at all.
  1. It has nothing to do with Mars or its moons.
  2. The good guys aren't marines but more like a SWAT team.
  3. There's no secret inter-dimensional research and the bad guys aren't from Hell. In fact, there are zero references to Hell in the movie.
  4. The bad guys aren't demons; they're mutated humans infected by a virus.

Umm, why call it "Doom" at all, then? Doom is Hell. You can't just remove all references to the original and give it the same name. That'd be like making a movie about The Legend of Zelda and giving Link a Walther PPK and making Ganon into an international terrorit.

A virus that mutates people into zombies? That sounds a lot like Resident Evil. Wrong game, morons!!

The movie is scheduled to be released in the sumer of 2005.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.