View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-03-29, 20:22

I thought we could have an *ongoing* movie thread where people could post a few comments about movies currently in the theaters at any given time, OR discuss *any* topic of interest that relates to films past or present.

Members would have an additional place to look when deciding how to spend their weekend movie dollars (pounds, euros, etc. ), and a place to discuss anything at all related to films.

Maybe you could rate your movie on a scale of 1 to 10, and please put your film title in bold.

Oh, and PLEASE don't give away any of the surprises, shocks, or specific details that might ruin the movie for the rest of us.

Thanks for all replies.

To start:

1) I finally got around to seeing Eight Below, the sled dog movie. I liked it a lot.

There were some absolutely *stunning* shots of the snowy frozen wilderness; a pretty decent plot, with 'some' suspense (considering that it was based on a true story); and some simply gorgeous and wonderful sled dogs. Okay, I'm a major dog lover.

Anyway, I enjoyed this film, definitely think it's worth seeing, and would rate it a 7.5

Be sure to stick around at the end for the watercolor paintings of scenes from the movie... if you're into watercolors, that is.

2) I also saw Failure to Launch, with Matthew McConaughey and Sarah Jessica Parker. I liked this one also. You may suppose that it's a chick-flick type movie, because it IS a romantic comedy, after all.

But... I think guys might like it because the screenplay was written by two guys.

As you probably know, it deals with a 35 yr. old guy still living at home. He has two good male friends who are also in that situation. His parents decide to take steps to deal with the problem.

I didn't expect much from this movie, but it was better than I had anticipated. I guess I'd rate it a 7.0, and I 'would' recommend it as a date movie. (I also seem to remember fleeting shots of an Apple laptop in a crucial scene. )

3) I mentioned Mrs. Henderson in another thread. It's about theater productions in wartime London that try to 'push the limits' to attract and keep theater-goers. I'd rate it a 6.5.

I'd wait for it to come out in DVD, so you can use your *pause* feature.

Has anyone seen Memoirs of a Geisha yet, and if so, what did you think of it? I might see that tonight at the $3 theater.

Summary:

Eight Below - 7.5
Failure to Launch - 7.0
Mrs. Henderson - 6.5

Last edited by Windswept : 2014-05-22 at 18:48.