View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-16, 16:46

A saw a thing online where the downtown Houston skyline was all lit up/glowing (most buildings empty/unused at night), while, in the foreground, were darkened, powerless houses likely full of cold, miserable people.

Something seems very off in that. I don’t know how cities and grids work, and I want to believe if there was an easy, safe and quick way to route that stuff from downtown to elsewhere they’d be doing it. I hope.

Logistics/utility workings aside, it was an eye-opening picture. Dark residential homes with no power or heat while a big downtown skyline was lit up like Vegas on July 4, and mostly unoccupied.

An awful visual, if nothing else. Like dying of thirst, right next to the ocean.

In 2021, I’m constantly astounded/surprised/infuriated at how some things still happen and take place, as though it’s 1942. Or even 1842.

My friend in KC had a high of 0 yesterday. A nice, balmy 0, up from an overnight low of -8. They’ll hit 21 tomorrow which will probably feel like springtime.

No, our “emergency response” ain’t always up to snuff and it’s always discovered/learned at the worst time. And it’s a two-front issue, both the government/authorities and oblivious, unprepared and irresponsible citizens. How do people not have batteries, candles, flashlights and just basic stuff like that. All available at Dollar Tree. $2-3 goes a long way there, at least allowing you to find your way around, run a radio, etc.

At least strive to be that prepared.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-02-16 at 17:05.