View Single Post
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-02-18, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I don't follow — is your contention that privatization is fine since some center-left folks in Ontario did it, too?
No, it's that Matsu's evil "right wing party that got elected promptly cancelled green energy projects" isn't the culprit in Ontario's energy debacle. (Which isn't to say they have a golden plan either. But in fairness, the pandemic has blown their plans up.)

Privatization has its uses, and as a conservative, I think government is grandly efficient when tasked with oversight duties, but tends to lose grip on actually running day-to-day non-core activities. I understand that you think what is happening in Texas is a failure of the free market running power plants. I tend to see it (so far) as a failure of proper government oversight, particularly those tasked with overseeing the state's emergency readiness.

If it turns out that the authorities issued regulations that the utilities needed to be winterized, and the business people prioritized compensation and dividends instead, I'm happy to endorse jailing them for a few years.