Thread: Apple Watch
View Single Post
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-09-16, 21:33

Heh, I came over to post that.

I think he's right about the gold watch, although I hope the stainless steel is a little more in reach. I don't see why stainless steel over aluminum needs to add $600 to the price.

But gold, given the price per ounce and the amount most likely in that case? Yeah, that's thousands right there.

I like his idea about trade-ins or updates, though. It's hard to imagine dropping 5 large on a watch that's going to be obsolete in 4 years. But if you could get a substantial discount on the next one? Or update for even less? And then after you swap out the internals a few times you get the new case, as well, because at that point it's considerable thinner.

I was also intrigued by his take on functionally. That there's far more to this puppy than has been revealed, further distinguishing it from Android's phone accessory model. We'll see, but I bet he's right.

I bet he's also right about a new "Apple of things"-- that they're ready to enter an era where they built out an Apple ecosystem that puts Apple computing smarts and Apple interoperability into all kinds of stuff. Should be a fun ride.

But one thing he's for damn sure right about: the tech press will squeal like stuck pigs when they reveal the pricing. They can only understand this in terms of competition with Android. Costs a shit load more than Android, fail. That's as far as they can see. We'll see.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated