View Single Post
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-11, 21:24

In case it helps, I saw this defect on a 23" Cinema display at an Apple retail store. The same 23" has been there since fall of last year (probably shortly after the aluminum update). The 20" and 30" displays in the store, as well as the laptops and iMacs, exhibit no color problems, but keep in mind that most of these displays have been in the store since they were first introduced. Perhaps the color problem is getting more widespread and coming to new 20" displays now, but I haven't heard of the 20" ones having problems until now so it's possible that they have only had these problems with the most recent batches.

It's quite obvious even on a standard OS X desktop. The menu bar, which should be a very light gray, becomes noticeably pink. I asked a tech about it and he claimed that it was a result of the lighting in the store, which is an obvious cop-out because he didn't want to admit that there was a problem with the display. The Apple store has all-white lighting and besides, only the 23" showed the problem.

I think it's ridiculous that Apple keeps avoiding the problem. People complain about it constantly and they just delete their posts. Meanwhile they're charging $200-$400 more for their display than many other companies (Dell isn't the only one offering a 20" widescreen for ~$600). Apple's customers hold them to a very high level of performance, and given the prices they charge, Apple needs to deliver.