View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-15, 13:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
I feel especially sorry for those people when they say "I seen" or "I had went" on national television, when being interviewed with regard to some once-in-a-lifetime incident that they happened to witness. (Recent bridge tragedy, for example.)

There, on tape for all time and for their posterity, are recorded their appalling grammatical atrocities.
Yeah, that's what I call the Tornado Witness Interview Syndrome (TWIS)...everytime a tornado strikes around here (we don't get them in Chattanooga proper, thank goodness, but in a lot of the outlying counties they can be a real danger).

Anyway, the local news crew travels there to get some footage and interviews. And it never fails (in fact, I think they seek it out...I really do, for their own twisted kicks) that they always - always - choose the one person who is the least capable of putting together a coherent sentence, and who looks like something from another dimension.

I call it The Interview UniformĀ®: muscle shirt (with one of three NASCAR drivers: Dale Jr., Dale, Sr. or Mark Martin), some sort of ball crap - camouflage pattern - with disgusting graphic/phrase of a sexual or racial nature (which has to be pixelated in editing), mullet, homemade tattoo of the Chevy logo and, of course, smoking (or, if you get lucky, they'll actually have a can of beer at 9:45am).

"I done seen that big dang ol' wall of clouds, and I told them there kids to get on inside. Then I heared what sounded like a freight train*. It like to scared me plum half-to-death. I ain't never saw nothing like it nowhere. We're just glad it only carried off two of the kids...the other nine, they's safe over yonder."

If you're really lucky, you'll get a few bleeped passages.

"Sir, we're from Eyewitness Action First News 10, and can you tel..."

"Buddy, I don't give a sweet flyin' [beeeeep]...look at my [beeeeep] yard!"

* Always the go-to audio description of a tornado. I'm really hoping they'll come across someone someday who goes for a bit of originality/honesty and says "Freight train, my ass...it sounded like a whole lotta strong fuckin' wind, tearin' all my shit up!"

Fingers crossed...