View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-30, 17:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
So, that's a tricky one. Most ports simply won't fit in a chassis like the 24-inch iMac. Adding ports to the side is an option, which is why they did that for the headphone jack, but you don't really want something hanging off of there for prolonged periods of time.
Yeah, I thought about that as I was writing it.

Several options, none are super ideal: leave off completely, make the body thicker, put them on the power brick or, as weird as it might look, "hide" a thicker part behind the body/stand to house these ports. No, I don't know how they'd do it either, I'm just trying to think.

Honestly, I think they'd just make the thing a little thicker. Pro stuff is allowed to be, after all.

Not sure how much thicker they'd need to make it, but even if it required doubling the thickness of the M1 24" iMac, that's still a) super thin and b) that's just extra room inside for cooling, higher-performing AS and whatever else. The 24" iMac is 11.5mm thick, so even if they doubled it to 23mm, that's still less than one inch (.90"). I don't think Apple, or a customer on the planet, would mind a 27" pro-labeled Mac being less than 1" thick, with all the other plusses going for it (27" display, the Pro/Max performance, etc.).

Desktops - especially ones with "pro" in their name - don't need to be design/thinness showcases. The events of two Mondays ago showed us that Apple seems willing to put function (performance) over form (performance-hindering thinness). And they have even more room to do so on a larger 27" desktop than their two new notebooks.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-30 at 17:54.