View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-06-07, 14:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Not sure I'd position a fanless notebook as a "pro" unit. Someone goes to pushing it and it might throttle down or act up more than something with a fan?

What I am okay with would be still selling the M1 wedge at $999 and called MacBook Air

Selling the new 2022 Air as just "MacBook" for that $1,199 starting price.

Yank the 13" Pro

Basically, I you think you need a fan, go pro. Otherwise, the sub-$1,999 notebooks are for you. Do you want a smaller one with a wedge design and an older processor for $999, or do you want to step up $200 for a larger screen, M2, etc. and own a MacBook?

Leaving off "Air" and "Pro" instantly removes any expectations/demands that might otherwise be present. It isn't small and light/tapered, and it isn't full-on "pro". It's just a...MacBook. The notebook for pretty much anyone.

But they're just going to keep in interesting for another cycle, I guess. I hope we're still not having this discussion a year from now.
I don't particularly care for the "Air" moniker any more since I have no clue what it's even supposed to mean on the iPad Air these days ("mid-range"?), but the bottom portion of the Air is a lot thinner than that of the 14-inch Pro. Apple's specs don't really do it justice since they count the lid in both cases as well, and even seem to be counting the feet.

They say 1.13cm vs. 1.55cm (37% more). The lid seems to be about 4mm, and the feet about 1.5mm. That leaves about 0.58cm for the bottom. Assuming the same lid and foot thickness on the 14, that one has about 1cm for the bottom — 72% more.

And I do think leaving such a big gap without anything mid-range isn't great. Given that they've just redesigned the Air, clearly that one isn't the answer. Perhaps a new upcoming model will be.