View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-09-28, 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
We're about two days out from October, and there's no sightings yet of an October event.

There's even a report that Macs will be released by press release only, which makes no sense unless the Mac Pro has been pushed to November.
The Mac Pro is still a big question mark.

I think it simply isn't coming soon. Instead, we'll see an M3 Mac Studio and M3 Mac Pro next year.

Quote:
What new features do we think the 2023 Mac Pro will have?

• USB4 Version 2.0 is a good bet. Don't think the new FireWire...ahem...Thunderbolt will be ready.
USB4 Version 2.0 spec isn't finished yet. That hasn't stopped Apple before, but I just don't think they care that much. After all, they already have Thunderbolt.

Quote:
• I figure M2 SSDs are the new Zip Drives of the future, so I think some kind of front-access port to plug-in drives might show up.
I do think it's a bummer we didn't get a return of hot-swap internal storage with the 2019. But I also don't think we'll see it now.

Quote:
• Hopefully, user-upgradable RAM
I still don't quite know how that'll work.

Quote:
• A less-expensive version that takes the place of the Mac Studio with M1 Ultra.
But… you're describing the M1 Ultra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Depends on their PCI/GPU support. If there's no support for PCI, then the case can be half the size. If there is, then the same enclosure makes sense.

Nope. The M-series processor line should be an indicator that Apple is all-in on Unified Memory.
If the Mac Pro doesn't have PCI slots nor expandable memory, how does it differ from the Mac Studio at all? I don't think that works. It needs to have something significant to distinguish it.

I'm also not sure Apple wants to deal with the PR headwinds of "yeah, we made a big deal about the 2013 Mac Pro being a misstep, but then we just did the same thing again just one revision later".

As for RAM, I dunno. I still think a heterogenous approach is a possibility — you get built-in fast RAM, and then you get expandable, but slower RAM. You need to decide at app launch which one you want.