View Single Post
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-11-14, 11:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Honestly, it's very tricky.

Personally, as a user, I'd even like to pay money, but Twitter Blue wasn't very compelling pre-Musk and it's even less compelling now. It used to cost $5/mo and offered things like editing tweets; now it costs $8/mo and also offers a verified badge that they don't actually verify. I would probably pay $10/yr, maybe even $20. I'm not going to pay $96/yr.

So why did they make it so expensive? Well, because you're actually worth about that as an ad customer as well. (I've seen estimates that the average user has an advertiser value of $12/mo, even.)

I imagine they'll do something like "large organizations can bulk-buy Twitter Blue", and if it's something like $2,000/yr for NYT, that might be an expense they say yes to.

It's not that I think Elon has an easy job ahead. It's that some of the things he's done so far are bafflingly dumb. He'd gain so much by 1) talking less 2) spending more time thinking certain policies through. Previous Twitter Inc. management wasn't great, but they had, actually, put a lot of thought into things like "how do we do moderation? What about local laws?" etc.
The number of companies who would buy Blue in bulk is too small to bring in any serious revenue. I was on a team that examined ideas like this recently and the fact is newsrooms just don't have any money outside of the very top (NYT, CNN, etc). There's not enough money in the market to justify any product investment. At best you're making an extra $1-2 mil/year.