View Single Post
boris

2005-01-24, 21:35

Alright I'm slowly caving in and joining macsters of the 21st century. I finally got panther to work satisfactorily on my tiBook. Still ironing out a few problems...

On my office LAN I have a PM8500/120 running OS 7.5.3 (and a Quadra OS 7.5 fwiw). I'd prefer to disturb the OS of these machines as little as possible, but I recognize that very likely my solution is in altering or upgrading the older machines. I just wanted to state my preference...

On the PM8500 I can get the TiBook to show in the chooser, but when I try to connect I get an error that the system does not recognize the AFP (?) protocol. (Or something like that - the moderators will shoot me! - but I'm writing this from home, from memory).

If there is not a setting in OSX for "translating down" to make it talk to 7.5.3, can anyone here advise me what might be needed to have 7.5.3 talk up to the OSX machine? (Just to be clear - I want the OSX machine to be the server - to show as a mounted device/drive on the PM8500 desktop).

Could it be something as simple as an updated TCPIP?

I would be willing to update the OS wholesale on the PM8500, to OS 8 or even 9 (if possible, I know OS9 would work). But the less changed the better.

(WHY!? you may ask... Uh, you may be sorry you asked: I am addicted to Illustrator v.5.5, which was the pinnacle of that Adobe software. With OS 9, maybe also 8, Apple pre-empted some of the keyboard shortcuts that I frequently use in illustrator, making it more of a pain to use. I do a LOT of work in illustrator).