View Single Post
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-01-13, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
I'm not 100% sure of my own views on the subject; my current leaning would perhaps be to completely rewrite the UK constitution to create a federation on US lines; with England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland having their own legislature enshrined in law, with a federal UK government to cover the most important of issues. Sometimes I think independence would work, but sometimes I have my doubts.
I'm 75% Scottish, but have lived in England all my life. I can't say the status of the Union bothers me. Americans refer to anyone from here as "British" anyway, it's only a few European countries that generally make the distinction between English, Scottish and Welsh. Everyone lives their lives and gets on with things anyway, I don't mind if Scotland is technically a separate country or not. Life's too short, I don't understand why people get het up about this sort of thing. Which is not to make light of your post, but just saying there are people who have dedicated their entire lives to 'the cause' (and the IRA, for example, in Ireland, although I know that's a lot different). People should just get on with their lives.