View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-05-03, 15:09

This is part pro-choice people are most displeased with:
Quote:
We do not pretend to know how our political system or society will respond to today’s decision overruling Roe and Casey. And even if we could foresee what will happen, we would have no authority to let that knowledge influence our decision. We can only do our job, which is to interpret the law, apply longstanding principles of stare decisis, and decide this case accordingly. We therefore hold that the Constitution does not confer a right to abortion. Roe and Casey must be overruled, and the authority to regulate abortion must be returned to the people and their elected representatives.
In reality they should be rejoicing, because it is the court being unwilling to overstep their role and be the legislative branch. This is the court allowing states to determine their laws based on their voters. This is the court handing power back to the people that it never should have taken.

Reading the opinion so far it is clear the original RvW decision was a bad one and shouldn't have been made. To then affirm it with Casey was a continued overstep given the already faulty groundwork it used.

Heck, I've still got another 30+ pages to read... never mind if I dig into the footnotes.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.