View Single Post
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-06-25, 08:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I never had or wanted children, but I can't imagine what's it's like to be a Dad right now to a daughter. How do you tell them that everything is going to be fine if you live in a Republican-controlled state? Especially after SCOTUS finds a reason to ban contraception (or make it a state's choice). "Well, you'll just have to raise your rapist's child because law." "Well, your prom date's pull-out game was weak (see above re: contraception), so here's a child given to a child." "Good luck everyone, I nut here!!!" "Well, we'll just have to go north where they can help us take care of this little problem (but don't tell friends or church or school or anyone, because WE would NEVER)."

AGAIN, the blue states take on the burden of the regressives. Getting more and more tired of that bullshit tbh.
I have a daughter who just turned 3 this week. Fortunately, she is completely unaware of what is happening right now. Unfortunately, she can definitely tell that yesterday was tough for her mother and I.

We had our daughter through IVF and ended up donating the unused embryos to science after our daughter was born. That process looks like it could be severely limited in the near future as republicans push to define "fetal personhood" as the moment of fertilization, which is ludicrous. What happens to people who need the help of incredible scientific research to have biological children?

I"m also blown away at the number of people, including people in my own family like my mother, who were overjoyed yesterday that RvW was overturned, even as states implemented numerous anti-abortion laws, with no exceptions for rape/incest/mother's health. I can't even imagine a scenario in which my daughter is legally forced to have a child, but unfortunately, that day has arrived in the US.

We were trying to leave the US to move to the EU prior to Covid, and I foresee that plan coming back into serious consideration again as our country goes down this path.

So many things are on the table with this ruling being overturned, and I don't think the vast majority of people understand what this ruling did. It was more to affirm privacy rights and didn't really have much to do with actually protecting abortion itself. Just so happened that this case centered on aboriton. Republicans are coming for same sex marriage, same sex relationships, contraceptions, interracial marriage, etc.. Everything that was decided on the basis of privacy is now up for debate and Clarence Thomas openly called for people to challenge those rulings.

We are in for a rough time moving forward.

Edit: Just in case I wasn't clear. There is no case in which a person should be forced to give birth, be that pregnancy resulted from horrible circumstances or not. If a person does not want to give birth, they should be able to freely make that decision on their own.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.

Last edited by kieran : 2022-06-26 at 07:37.