View Single Post
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-06-03, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Well GoF is how I was introduced to design patterns so... yeah.

Yeah I guess it would be difficult to outright replace GoF because it's pretty much the standard, but it is not an easy read.
No, it's really not, and why I undertook this. GoF is *GREAT* and an amazing revelation *IF* you're already a seasoned programmer who has run across the problems they state.

If you *haven't*, like, say, when you're just starting out, then you're left wondering why the hell you should care.

This work grew out of a project to teach a computer to automatically detect design patterns in source code. I had to break down 'software design' into a formalized, repeatable process, and find the core basic features to look for first, then the software could build them up into the more established GoF level patterns.

And then it occurred to me, that if I could teach a computer to do it, I might be able to teach students how to do the same: Here's your basic taxonomy of concepts, here's how they interact, and here's how they can be used as building blocks. ie, teach students how to *think* about design from the ground up.

And I do mean the ground up. One of the EDPs is Recursion, for god's sake. Another is Create Object... which is a 12 page discussion on why, and how, etc. It's pretty damned fundamental.