Thread: The New Mac Pro
View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-08-08, 15:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I think the most damning thing about the Mac Pro is that the ATP guys, all of whom are pro Mac users who had been talking about the new Mac Pro endlessly, all came to the conclusion that the new Mac Pro wasn't really...for them.

Which isn't to say that none of them are planning on buying it. But if the new Mac Pro isn't for them — developers and loyal Mac users who were eagerly anticipating and ready to drop large sums of money on new desktops — then I think maaaybe Apple made it a little too...niche?
So at the risk of sounding fanboy-ish, I wanted to add a few things here.

First of all, since you said "all of whom had been talking about the new Mac Pro endlessly": one of them, Casey is infamously not into the Mac Pro. Heck, he sometimes codes from a 12-inch MacBook. He clearly hasn't had any "you need a gazillion cores to do programming" Kool-Aid.

But more importantly, while I personally contest that either John or Marco need a Mac Pro (it really isn't any of my business, but John needs to get over himself, separately buy a gaming PC and a Mac mini, and end up with better performance for his use case and yet $5k to spare), I didn't come away with the impression that they concluded that it "isn't for them".

At best, perhaps, that the iMac Pro is already good enough? And if so, is that really a big problem?

It'll be interesting to see how those two evolve. Will Intel eventually offer suitable Xeon-W parts again? Maybe with Cooper Lake-W? Or not until Ice Lake-W, probably not until 2021? Or will Apple downgrade the next iMac Pro to Cascade Lake-X, which kind of sucks from an enthusiast point of view, but might be the better path to sustained updates? (Keep in mind the iMac Pro is already almost two years old at this point, with no suitable upgrade in sight.)