View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-20, 10:37

Bringing this thread back to life. I'm looking at what home automation is out there now and trying to find a way to make it all work. Currently I'm still heavily invested into Z-Wave but knowing there is so much more out there now just wondering what people are doing that works well? Basically I don't have to stay with Z-wave and am willing to look at what is available now.

This announcement (from Apple) points towards Zigbee but I'm sure the fruit of this cooperation won't be available for at least a few years. Of course it is anyone's guess when we start to see the products on the market. I mean, what about the HomeKit for Secure Video? Where are all those products? I'm still wanting a new doorbell.

The key for me is I want a relative level of privacy from my devices. Too many damning articles out there about complete privacy invasion going on. If I were to go with someone like Google or Amazon I know I have zero privacy. So I would need a controller from a company that at least tries to act like they care. My only concern about switching to an all Apple system is I'd feel pigeonholed.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.