View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-27, 19:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
I can see this option (if logistically feasible; I don't know how the iPhone's put together): bring the phone to an Apple/AT&T Store and have the folks there replace the battery on-site and within X minutes, perhaps just for the cost of the battery itself--if they're feeling charitable.
That would be acceptable to all but the most dickheaded of society. I'd much rather do that - drive over to my local store, stand around for 5-10 minutes and then get it done and be on my way - than drive to Atlanta to drop if off at and Apple store or ship it back to Apple for 3-5 days.

That won't fly with anyone, I'm tell you now...so they'd better come up with a way. For all we know, there's some special tool you use on a hidden latch somewhere that Apple and AT&T people know how to get to (and word will leak eventually, of course) to replace the battery if needed.

I find it hard to believe Apple would expect people to go without their phones/contacts for 3-5 days. As others have said, doing that for an iPod is one thing. For your phone? Uh, no. I wouldn't.

BTW, I ran by my local Cingular/AT&T store after dinner. They've got posters up and the girl there said they'd have a nice shipment in Friday, but, being realistic, wasn't expecting a "big NYC mad dash...which is pretty cool because you'd be able to walk right in and get one, then be on your way, without a huge line or hassle".

She says they've gotten a lot of questions and interest expressed, but she doesn't see them "selling out", or having a line out front.

Chattanooga just isn't that kind of town (and if this person will commit and buy my guitar/amp like he said he was wanting to, I'll go get one because that'll be paid for, more or less).

She said they're not allowed to open them up, and that they simply sell them and the customer takes it home to activate it, confirming/reiterating all that stuff we learned about yesterday (iTunes activation, number transferring, etc.). She said it was very "hands off", the point-of-sale, and that it's been designed so that people can activiated, choose their plans, etc. all from home, at their leisure.