View Single Post
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-03-30, 19:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
Most of the people on the DPReview forums consider themselves "pros," but they're really just people who own 1-hour photo places and spend most of their days shooting prom/glamour photos, or taking pics of mundane subject material like a coil of rope or barbed wire.
It's funny you said this. It's full of wannabes. People who thought they would make it as photographers but ended up selling 2-for-1 prints at Wolf. The truth hurts, and the truth is most of these people can't take a compelling photograph to save their life.

About a year ago I was at one of the "high end" retailers in the area and the guy behind the counter was trying to explain to a customer what was coming next (regarding DSLRs). I happened to know he was incorrect so I asked, "where did you hear that"?. And he says "DP Review," very matter-o-factly. I looked at the other customer with a smirk and said "Just my opinion but I would never make a buying decision based on something from that forum."

Then the retail guy gives me the hostile look and says "I get information there all the time." So I end with "well that's your choice but it's known to be a pretty unreliable source of information." He looks at the customer and says "well this is a nice camera over here..."

...into the light of a dark black night.