View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-13, 12:49

I really think some serious consideration should be given to my idea outlined here:

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=3296

All I see lately are mods having to close or move threads, mostly based on questions that can easily be answered either elsewhere (like Brad's link), OR, better yet, have our own "buying guide".

So many redundant (and often chuckle-headed...no, not this one...I'm just saying) threads these past two months.

Too much housecleaning seems to be going on here, that really shouldn't have to. Mostly if people would a) read the posting guidelines and b) use the "search" tool just a bit AND c) providing some sort of "buying guide" feature (or making a sticky, permanent link to the one at macrumors.com and telling everyone to go THERE first for some initial info) would greatly thin some of the clutter and silliness.

This site should be more than just a forum. So many knowledgeable, insightful folks here (not me!) that could make 'Nova a true "place to go", with true, useful day-to-day info.

Enough people seem to keep on and on asking about "when does the [xxx] get updated" and so forth, almost seems warranted at this point.

If I were a mod, I'd be pulling my hair out since about December (check the archives...that's when the lunacy really kicked in).

I don't know web stuff, so I don't know how much I could do. I could write it out, and get it going, I guess. Here's the thing: people won't do it, but they'll tell me "well YOU do it, it's your idea", but the minute I DO, I'll be deluged with corrections, debating, frisked by the grammar police, etc., at which point I'll say "well, you should've been in on it from the beginning, instead of just waiting to pounce on mine!"

It usually takes one person to get the ball rolling (and be a whipping boy), then everyone else will contribute and join in (it's easier to critique, edit, offer additions/corrections, etc. than to actually create from scratch). I know this, so maybe I should just do it, and get it going, realizing I wouldn't be alone for long...